Happy

I was contemplating what makes me happy while taking my youngest daughter on our daily walk today. To be completely honest, I don't know what makes me happy. I'm still trying to decide if I'm a happy or sad person. I'm not a happy person, that much is certain. However, it also doesn't make me depressed. I don't have any sadness or depression. I have my bad days.

There haven't been many occasions in my life where I can honestly say that I've been happy. The day my baby was born would rank as my happiest day. My memory remembers this specific moment. That was perhaps my happiest moment.

When I was a child, meeting my cousins, indulging in junk food and sweets, and drinking Pepsi made me happy. I loved watching movies, going on rides, and reading good books. When I had good grades or moved up in the class, I could see it on my mother's face, and that made me happy. I don't remember any nice memories from my teenage years. My adolescence was not a good period of my life.

In my early 20s, at the end of my university life, when it came to knowing, I scored the highest GPA in my class. That made me happy and getting a gold medal made me happy. Actually, my father was happier about that than I was. Aside from becoming financially independent, I believe that getting a new automobile and travelling the world made me happy throughout the remainder of my 20s. There have been a few occasions in my professional life when I have been extremely delighted as a result of a success I had: a promotion, a pay raise, or perhaps landing a new job.

My dad used to say that my wife is a happy person, and I should look at her, but I don't know if she is still a happy person or not. She is probably less happy than before.

Happiness, in my opinion, diminishes as we mature in life. You search for new things to make you happy because the things that formerly made you happy don't make you as happy as they once did.

Nowadays, I believe that anything that brings my kids joy also makes me happy. If they are successful, I'm happy about it. I'm happy when we travel and I'm happy when I see their smiles. So, yes, children are the focus right now, but what makes me happy? There ought to be something to make me happy besides the kids, so I need to figure it out. Perhaps a few interests, a few jobs, or something else that has no place in a person. I should be able to feel happiness. In actuality, I need to look inward for happiness rather than search outside of myself for it.

Dated: 02-Nov-2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yaar Ko Humne Ja Ba Ja Dekha !!!

2016: A year in review – Crossroads and then a Straight line

Life at 40